Ingredients:200g/7oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
200g/7oz Butter (at room temperature)
200g/7oz Caster Sugar
1 level teaspoon Baking Powder
4 Eggs (beaten)
2 tablespoons Milk
Filling125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
175g/6oz Icing Sugar
Few drops Vanilla Essence (optional)
Jar of good quality Raspberry Jam
Icing Sugar for dredging
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line two 18-20cm/ 7-8 inch sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together to form a smooth soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top with back of spoon. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Turn onto a wire tray or cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the butter until smooth, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Finally, beat in the vanilla essence, if used.
- Spread the butter cream over the base of one of the sponges, spread the jam over the other and sandwich the two.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days