25g/1oz Caster Sugar
Topping125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
75g/3oz Butter (room temperature)
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
1 Egg (beaten)
Grated Rind of 1 Orange
1 tablespoon Orange Juice
1 tablespoon Redcurrant jelly
- Preheat oven to 150°C / 300°F / Gas 2. Grease and base line a 18cm/7inch sandwich tin.
- Put the cranberries into a saucepan with the water, bring to the boil, and then simmer gently for a few minutes until they ‘pop’. Drain them.
- Melt together the butter and caster sugar for the base and put into the prepared tin. Then add the strained cranberries.
- To make Topping: Cream together the butter and sugar, beat in the egg. Stir in the flour orange rind and juice. Spread mixture evenly over the cranberries. Bake for about 30 minutes. Cake is baked when it springs back after being gently pressed with a finger.
- Turn out upside down on a wire tray, allow to cool.
- Place the redcurrant jelly in a small pan over a gentle heat until melted.
- Brush over the cranberries to glaze.