200g/7oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
2 tablespoons Cocoa
1 teaspoon Bread Soda
5 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
1 teaspoon White or Cider Vinegar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
225ml/8 fluid oz Water
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 19cm/8″ round cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Put the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl, sieve in the cocoa and bread soda and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat the oil, vinegar, vanilla essence and water.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix until well blended. Immediately transfer to the prepared tin.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until firm to the touch and well risen.
- Allow to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire tray.
- Serve warm.
This is an ideal birthday cake for people with an allergy to eggs!