Ingredients:225g / 8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
125g / 4oz Butter or Margarine
225g / 8oz Icing Sugar
Rind of 1 Lemon
150ml / 1/4pt Milk
6 Apples (peeled & thinly sliced)
100g packet Flaked Almonds
Granulated Sugar (depending on sweetness of apples)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish about 28cms x 18cms (11″ x 7″).
- Cream together the butter or margarine and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the lemon rind.
- Sieve flour and baking powder. Add the flour to the batter, alternately with the milk.
- Spread half the mixture into prepared dish, layer half the apples over this and top with remaining mixture. Arrange the apple slices on top. Sprinkle with sugar if wished and finally sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Serve with cream, ice cream or crème fraiche.