- 125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 125g/4oz Butter or margarine (room temperature)
- 125g/4oz Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 225g/8oz Icing Sugar
- 125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- Rabbit Whiskers: 6 pieces of uncooked Spaghetti 10cms/4” in length, dipped in Goodall's red colouring
- Rabbit Fur: 125g/4oz Shamrock Desiccated Coconut
- Ears: 2 pieces of stiff paper cut into ear shapes and coloured on one side with Goodall's red colouring
- Eyes & Nose: 2 Pink or Red Smarties, 1 Chocolate Smartie
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and base line a 19cms/7” round sandwich tin.
- Make the cake by putting all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth and creamy. Transfer to prepared tin, smooth the top and bake in the centre of the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cake is baked when gently touched it ‘springs’ back.
- Turn out of tin and cool on a wire tray.
- Meanwhile, make the icing by beating all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Cut the cake in half vertically and sandwich with some of the icing.
- Cut a triangular wedge from the top of the cake near one end (this is the face) keep the
wedge to make tail, spread with a little icing and toss in coconut.
- Spread remaining icing on the top and sides of the cake and then toss in coconut.
- Place the ‘ears’ in position where the wedge was removed. Then place the eyes, nose and whiskers in position.