75g/3oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
3 Eggs (separated)
Pinch of Salt
Few drops Goodall’s Vanilla Essence (optional)
Fruitfield Jam (of choice)
150ml/1/4 pt Cream (whipped)
Strawberries (cleaned & halved)
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Line a Swiss Roll tin (20cm x 30cm/8” x 12”) with greaseproof paper, bringing paper up 2½cm/1” above the edge of the tin.
- Put egg whites & salt into a bowl and beat until stiff.
- Add egg yolks and sugar; beat until mixture thickens.
- Fold in the sieved flour. Finally, fold in the vanilla essence, if used.
- Transfer to the tin and bake in upper shelf position for 12-15 minutes approx.
- Cool on a wire tray.
- When cold, cut the cake in half, spread with jam and sandwich together.
- Spread whipped cream on top. Cut into squares and place a halved strawberry on top.
- Best eaten on day of baking!
MY TOP BAKING EQUIPMENT ESSENTIALS
- Weighing Scales: Preferably electronic(battery operated) so you can bring the measurements back to zero and add other ingredients. A scales with imperial and metric also helps!
- An Electric Hand Mixer: Make sure that the whisk part of the beaters is not wire but flat metal beaters. Beats ingredients much quicker!
- Sieve: Important for making Scones, bread and pastry, can also be used as a flour dredger for rolling out dough, gives a more even distribution of the flour!
- Spatula: No kitchen should be without one! Easily removes all mixture from the bowl and no waste!
- Large Metal Spoon: Great for mixing and folding the ingredients, the larger the spoon the quicker the mixing!
- Palette Knife: Great for spreading mixture in tins and ideal for spreading icing on cakes!