225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
2 Tablespoons Cold Water (approx)
2 Tablespoons Roma Olive Oil
1 Large Onion (finely chopped)
125g/4oz Mushrooms (cleaned & chopped)
125g/4oz Cooked Ham (finely chopped)
125g/4oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
1 Tablespoon Tomato Ketchup
Salt & Pepper
Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6. Lightly dust a flat baking sheet/tray with flour.
- Make the pastry by putting the flour into a bowl, rub in the margarine and add sufficient water to mix to a soft dough. Cover and leave to ‘rest’ while making the filling.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and gently fry for about 4 minutes until they are softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Finally stir in the cooked ham.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, then stir in the cheese and tomato ketchup. Season to taste. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pastry into a 30cms/12” square. Cut lengthwise into two 15cms/6” strips, lift one up with the rolling pin and place on the prepared tin.
- Spread the cooled mixture over the pastry base to within 2 cms/1”of the edge.
- Roll out the second piece of pastry larger than the base so that it fits over the filling.
- Cover the filling with this layer of pastry, sealing it with some beaten egg. Crimp the edges to seal in the filling.
- Make small diagonal cuts 2 cms/1” apart over the pastry.
- Add a pinch of salt to the remaining beaten egg and brush over the top.
- Bake for about 30 to35 minutes until golden brown.
- Cut into fingers before serving.