Cake125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
125g/4oz Margarine (room temperature)
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
2 large Eggs
Icing25g/1oz Bournville Cocoa
60ml/3 tablespoons Boiling Water
175g/6oz Butter (room temperature)
250-350g/9-12oz Icing Sugar
DecorationChocolate Buttons (for bristles)
Glace Cherry (for nose)
2 Smarties (for eyes)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line a 19cms / 7 1/2″ Sandwich tin.
- Place all the cake ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth. Transfer to prepared tin, smooth top with back of spoon.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until risen and when gently touched it springs back!
- Turn onto wire tray, remove paper and allow to cool.
To make icing:
- Dissolve the cocoa in the boiling water, making a paste. Beat the butter until softened, then, add icing sugar and beat really well until mixture becomes pale in colour.
- Finally, beat in the cooled cocoa.
To make hedgehog:
- Cut cake in half vertically and sandwich the two halves together with some of the icing.
- Cut off pieces from one end of the cake to shape the head. Now spread remaining icing liberally all over the cake, smooth it neatly around the pointed end for his face and mark all over with a fork.
- Stick the buttons into the icing all over the hedgehogs body to resemble bristles.
- Transfer to serving dish. Place the eyes and nose in position.