Pastry175g/6oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 Tablespoon Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Filling200g Packet Shamrock Ground Almonds
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
Rind and Juice of 1Lemon
125g/4oz Butter (melted)
To DecorateDusting of Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a 23cms/9″ tart dish.
- Make pastry by putting the flour, caster sugar and salt into a bowl. Rub in the margarine until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Using a knife, just add sufficient water to mix to a soft dough. Transfer to floured board and roll out large enough to fit into the prepared tin. Trim and prick the base all over with a fork. Put into fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Next line the pastry with crumbled tin foil. Bake for 12 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake for a further 8 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Place a mixing bowl over a pan of hot water. Add the eggs and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is thick enough to leave a trail when beaters are lifted.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon rind and juice, butter and ground almonds.
- Pour into the par baked shell. Bake until the filling is golden and ‘set’ about 30 minutes.
- Decorate with a dusting of icing sugar and extra lemon rind.
- Can be eaten as is or with whipped cream or crème fraice!