- 175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
- 175g/6oz Butter (room temperature)
- 175g/6oz Shamrock Light Muscovado Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Golden Syrup
- 2 Lemons
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon juice
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 50g/2oz Stem Ginger in syrup (drained)
Filling & Decoration
- 575ml/1 Pt Cream (whipped)
- 1 Lemon
- Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and base line 2 x 20cms/8” round sandwich tins.
- Finely grate the rind from the lemons. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs adding a teaspoon of the flour with each addition.
- Stir in the syrup, half the lemon rind and the teaspoon of lemon juice. Stir in the remaining flour and the ground ginger. Finally, chop half the stem ginger and stir into mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared tins and level the tops. Bake for about 25 minutes until golden in colour and ‘springy’ to the touch.
- Turn onto a wire tray to cool
- Gently stir the remaining lemon rind into the whipped cream, use a third of it to sandwich the cake together.
- Spread a third on the top and the sides of the cake. Put remaining cream into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe rosettes around the top of the cake. Arrange the mini eggs on each rosette. Thinly slice the lemon, cut halfway into each slice and twist sideways arrange between the rosettes. Cut the remaining ginger into strips and use to decorate the top.