250g/9oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
Level Teaspoon Odlums Baking Powder
225g/8oz Butter (soft)
225g/8oz Caster Sugar
1 Dessert Spoon Lemon Curd
Rind of 1 Lemon
Juice of 1 Lemon
175g/6oz Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line a 28cms x 18cms/12” x 7” tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs and beat briefly. Stir in the lemon curd.
- Mix in the flour and baking powder, then the milk.
- Beat for a minute until mixture is like a thick batter. Stir in the lemon rind.
- Pour into the prepared tin, smooth the top, making a slight dip in the centre to get a flat top when baking.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until golden brown and springing back when pressed.
- Make the topping a little before the cake comes from the oven: Put the lemon juice and sugar into a bowl and mix, then heat in a microwave for a minute (can be done on the hob as well!)
- As soon as you take cake from the oven, prick with a fork all over, then pour over the topping, gently working it into the cake with the back of a spoon. Allow to cool in the tin.