225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
2 tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
2 tablespoons Poppy Seeds
Grated Rind of 1 Lemon
175g/6oz Icing Sugar
1 tablespoon (approx.) Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3. Grease and base line a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Cream margarine and sugar together in a bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and next beat in the milk with vanilla essence.
- Gently stir in the flour until completely combined and finally stir in the poppy seeds and lemon rind.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes until golden brown and a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- When baked, turn out onto a wire tray to cool.
- Mix icing sugar and lemon juice together to form a glaze. When the cake is cold, spread over the top of the cake.
- Store in an airtight container.