Base175g / 6 oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
125g / 4 oz Margarine
3 to 4 tablespoons Cold Water
Pinch Salt and Pepper
Topping3 Large Onions (peeled and thinly sliced)
25g / 1oz Margarine
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 Egg (beaten)
2 tablespoons Cream or Milk
75g / 3oz Cheese crumbled or roughly chopped (Gorgonzola, Danish Blue, Cheddar)
Freshly Ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Lightly grease a flat baking sheet or a 26cm /10″ pizza tray.
- Heat margarine and oil in a saucepan, add the sliced onions and sugar and “sweat” or fry over a low heat until onions are soft and lightly browned. Stir the onions occasionally during cooking.
- Meanwhile, make the base by placing the flour, salt, pepper and margarine in a bowl. Rub in the margarine until the mixture starts to come together, then add sufficient water to bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Place on a lightly floured board and roll out to fit the pizza tray or a 26cm/10″ round on a flat baking tray.
- Allow to rest while finishing the topping.
- When onions are ready, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the egg, cream or milk and the cheese.
- Stir well to combine all the ingredients together.
- Spread over the base and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until brown and “set looking”.
- Serve hot with a green salad.