- 3 large Egg Whites
- 1 tablespoon Odlums Cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Chef White Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Goodall’s Vanilla Essence
- 4 tablespoons Boiling Water
- 350g/12oz Granulated Sugar
- 300ml/½ pint Cream
- Fresh fruit
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and beat until thick. Shape meringue into a ring on baking parchment. Bake in preheated oven at 120°C / 250°F / Gas Mark ½ for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 110°C / 225°F / Gas Mark ¼ for a further 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Place on serving dish and fill with whipped cream and fresh fruit of your choice.
As ovens vary, always check manufacturer’s instructions.
3 Egg Yolks (beaten)
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
2 Lemons ( juice & rind )
- Over a low heat melt the butter, add sugar, juice and rind. Then stir in the well-beaten egg yolks.
- Stir over a gentle heat until mixture coats the back of spoon.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a bowl. It will thicken as it cools.
- Once cold, store for up to three weeks in a ‘fridge. In most homes it does not last the three weeks!!