450g/1lb Odlums Strong Flour
350g/12oz Shamrock Dark Muscovado Sugar
675g/1 1/2 lb Shamrock Raisins
675g/1 1/2 lb Shamrock Sultanas
125g/4oz Shamrock Candied Peel
175g/6oz Shamrock Cherries, chopped
25g/1oz Shamrock Apricots, chopped
50g/2oz Shamrock Chopped Walnuts
50g/2oz Shamrock Ground Almonds
50g/2oz Shamrock Chopped Almonds
1/2 teaspoon Goodall’s Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Goodall’s Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Goodall’s Mixed Spice
Pinch of Salt
Juice & Rind of 1 Lemon
Juice & Rind of 1 Orange
1 tbsp Glycerine (optional)
200ml Dark Jamaican Rum
You will also need
10″round/9″square cake tin
- Line tin with a double layer of greaseproof paper and a layer of brown paper.
- Put sultanas, raisins, candied peel, cherries, apricots, walnuts, almonds, rind of orange and rind of lemon in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the rum, juice of orange and lemon. Leave covered overnight.
- Sieve the flour, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and mixed spice together.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Add the beaten eggs gradually with half the sieved flour mixture, giving a nice soft mixture.
- Mix the remaining flour into the fruit mixture. Combine both mixtures together and stir well.
- Finally, add the glycerine and mix until all ingredients are well blended.
- Transfer to prepared tin and bake at 275°F, 140°C, Gas 1 in a central oven position for 5 hours approximately. After 4 hours, check at half hourly intervals
This cake can also be baked using Odlums Cream Flour
As oven temperatures vary, cooking times may need adjusting to suit your own oven. For fan assisted ovens see manufacturer’s handbook.
Icing the cake