300g / 11oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 small Courgette
1 level teaspoon Bread Soda (sieved)
125g / 4oz Grated Cheddar Cheese
3 tablespoons Chopped Chives
150ml / 1/4pt - 300ml / 1/2pt Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly dust baking sheet/tray with flour.
- Coarsely grate the courgette onto kitchen paper and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Place the flour, sugar, bread soda, salt, grated cheddar and chives into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Finally add the courgette and sufficient milk to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and gently knead. Place tin in oven to heat.
- Roll dough out to about 2 cms/1″ and cut out scones. Place on preheated tin and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire tray. Serve with ham and relish or smoked salmon.