275g / 10oz Odlums Cream plain Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
75g / 3oz Sesame Seeds
50g / 2oz Margarine
75g / 3oz Caster Sugar
300ml / 1/2pt Milk
Grated Rind of 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds. Spread the rest of them on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds. Meanwhile, cream the margarine and sugar together until smooth. Beat in the eggs, then stir in the milk and lemon rind.
- Pour the milk mixture over the dry ingredients and fold in with a large metal spoon until just blended.
- Transfer to prepared tin and sprinkle over the reserved sesame seeds.
- Bake for about an hour until well risen and firm to the touch. Turn onto a wire tray to cool.
- Delicious served with lemon curd.
3 Egg Yolks (beaten)
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
2 Lemons ( juice & rind )
- Over a low heat melt the butter, add sugar, juice and rind. Then stir in the well-beaten egg yolks.
- Stir over a gentle heat until mixture coats the back of spoon.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a bowl. It will thicken as it cools.
- Once cold, store for up to three weeks in a ‘fridge. In most homes it does not last the three weeks!!