Ingredients:75g/3oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
150g/5oz Caster Sugar
Grated Rind of 1 Lemon
100g Packet Ground Almonds
1 Teaspoon Almond Essence
For Decoration25g/1oz Icing Sugar
25g/1oz Toasted Flaked Almonds.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease and base line an 18/20cms/7/8inch sandwich tin.
- Beat butter, sugar and lemon rind until light and fluffy. Gradually whisk in the eggs.
- Gently stir in alternate spoonfuls of flour and ground almonds, then stir in the almond essence.
- Transfer to prepared tin and spread evenly. Bake for about 30/40 minutes until risen and golden brown or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to settle in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire tray to cool.
- Dust top of the cake with icing sugar, mark into slices, then, scatter the toasted almonds over.