Simple Soda Bread Ingredients
- 450g/1lb Odlums Cream Flour
- 1 level teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda
- 2 level teaspoons Cream of tarter or Bextartar
- Good Pinch of Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar (optional)
- 25g/1oz Margarine
- A little over ½ pint Fresh Milk
- 8 Pork sausages, each cut in three
- 4 Rashers cut in strips
- 2 large potatoes cut into 2"/5cms cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced in thin rounds
- 1 Pint/575ml Stock, chicken or vegetable
- Ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Soda Bread Method
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F 200°C.
- Sieve flour, soda and Bextartar and salt into a bowl. Add sugar if used.
- Rub in the margarine to resemble breadcrumbs, lifting mixture with fingertips to introduce air to the dough.
- Add sufficient milk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead a little.
- Turn the smooth side up and shape into a round. Place the dough on a floured tin.
- Cut a cross over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- When baked the underneath when “tapped” should have a hollow sound.
- Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a tea towel to give a soft crust.
- Put all the ingredients except parsley and pepper into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes. Check that the carrots and potatoes are soft!
- Add parsley and season with pepper
- Serve in deep soup plates