1 tbsp Roma Olive Oil
4 Medium Red Onions (peeled and thinly sliced.)
125g/4oz Shamrock Brown Sugar
Pinch of Chilli Flakes
1 tbsp Rowse Honey
3 tbsp Red Wine
3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- In a large pot, place onions and oil over a medium heat.
- Continue to stir contents, to move the onions around and prevent them from sticking.
- As onions begin to colour and soften (after about 3 minutes), add in brown sugar and continue to stir.
- The sugar will begin to soften and will coat all of the onions.
- Allow the softened sugar to come to the boil gently.
- Next add in the chilli, honey, red wine and red wine vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to come to the boil and then simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Make sure that you stir it occasionally to prevent anything sticking to the base of the pot.
- Transfer to clean sterilized jars and store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.