200g/7oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
200g/7oz Butter (at room temperature)
200g/7oz Caster Sugar
1 level teaspoon Baking Powder
4 Eggs (beaten)
2 tablespoons Milk
125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
175g/6oz Icing Sugar
Few drops Vanilla Essence (optional)
Jar of Fruitfield Raspberry Jam
250g/8ozs Icing Sugar – sieved
Few tablespoons of warm water
Few drops of orange or red and yellow mixed
Tube of ready-made black icing
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line two 18-20cm/ 7-8 inch sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cake ingredients together to form a smooth soft batter.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and smooth the top with back of spoon. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and the cake springs back when pressed.
- Turn onto a wire tray or cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
To fill and decorate
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the butter until smooth, then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Finally, beat in the vanilla essence, if used.
- Spread the butter cream over the base of one of the sponges & spread the Fruitfield Raspberry Jam ‘Blood !!’ jam over the other, and sandwich the two together
- To make glace icing add colouring and sufficient water to icing sugar and mix to a thick paste. When cake is cooled spread icing over sandwich with a knife dipped in water.
- Pipe black icing over cake as shown (add plastic spiders) if you wish!