450g/1lb Odlums Cream Flour
1 level teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda
2 level teaspoons Bextartar
Good Pinch of Salt
1 tablespoon Sugar
50g/2oz Shamrock Sultanas, Raisins or Currents
A little over ½ pint Fresh Milk
- Sieve flour, bread soda, Bextartar and salt into a bowl. Add sugar if required.
- Rub in the margarine to resemble breadcrumbs, lifting mixture with fingertips to introduce air to the dough. Mix in the fruit.
- Add milk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead a little.
- Turn the smooth side up and shape into a round. Place the dough on a floured tin.
- Cut a cross over the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, 400°F 200°C Gas 6 for 40-45 minutes.
- When baked the underneath when “tapped” should have a hollow sound.
- Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a tea towel to give a soft crust.