Ingredients:225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
125g/4oz Butter (room temperature)
125g/4oz Shamrock Light Brown Sugar
4 tablespoons Treacle
1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
Pinch of Bread Soda
2 tablespoons Warm Milk
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3. Line a deep 20cms/8″ deep cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat butter until soft. Add the sugar and mix until creamy. Add the eggs and treacle and beat well.
- Stir in the flour and ginger.
- Dissolve the bread soda in the warm milk and finally mix into the cake mixture. Transfer to prepared tin. Bake for about an hour until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Leave in tin to “set” for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire tray to cool. When completely cold wrap in greaseproof paper and then tinfoil.
- Dust with icing sugar if liked.
- The cake is best kept for a few days before cutting. It gets stickier after a few days!