350g/12oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
175g/6oz Butter (softened)
125g/4oz Icing Sugar
1 teaspoon Almond Essence
250ml carton Cream
3 tablespoons Icing Sugar
1 teaspoon freshly grated Lemon Rind
450g/1lb Strawberries (hulled and quartered)
1 tablespoon Icing Sugar
2 tablespoons Shamrock Flaked Almonds (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 25cm/10″ tin with removable base.
- Combine all the shortcake ingredients together in a large bowl. Use hand to bring the mixture to form a dough. Press half the dough into prepared tin and press down well.
- Prick dough well with a fork. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and immediately cut round into 12 wedges. Gently remove each wedge with a fish slice. Cool on a wire tray.
- Press remaining half of dough on bottom of same tin. Press down well and prick all over with a fork. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Do not cut the second round. With a fish slice, gently slide shortcake onto wire tray to cool.
- Meanwhile whip the cream. While whipping, gradually add the sugar and lemon rind. Beat until stiff.
- To assemble: place whole shortcake round on serving plate. Spread round with the whipped cream. Top with strawberries. Gently stand shortcake wedges, on top of the cream at a slight angle, gently pressing into whipped cream and between strawberries.
- Sieve the icing sugar over the top and sprinkle with almonds.