175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
175g/6oz Margarine/Butter (room temperature)
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
3 Eggs (lightly beaten)
For the Syrup
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
3 Tablespoons Strong Coffee
3 Tablespoons Brandy
For the Cream
250g Tub Mascarpone Cheese
2 Tablespoons Crème Fraiche
1 Vanilla Pod, split lengthways and seeds scraped out
2 heaped Tablespoons Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C /350°F/ Gas 4. Grease and base line a deep 20cms/8inch cake tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then gently stir in the flour.
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Put the sugar, water, coffee and brandy into a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Stirring occasionally.
- While cake is still warm prick over the top with a skewer or fork. Slowly pour the syrup over it, waiting until it has absorbed before adding more.
- Transfer to serving plate Make the cream by beating all the ingredients until smooth.
- Serve the cake warm with the mascarpone and vanilla.