450g / 1lb Wheatmeal (Odlums Traditional or Hearts Delight)
1 level teaspoon Bread Soda
1 tablespoon Honey (optional) or 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
450ml / 3/4 pint Milk
1 carton Yoghurt (Natural or any flavour preferred)
1 tablespoon Oil
75g / 3oz Chopped Apricots
50g / 2oz Chopped Walnuts
- Place wheatmeal in a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve in soda.
- Add apricots, walnuts and sugar, if used. Mix well.
- Add milk, yoghurt, oil and honey, if used.
- Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer to a well greased 2lb loaf tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3 for approx. 1 hour.
- Bread will be baked if base sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a wire tray. For a soft crust, wrap bread in a clean tea towel.