250g / 9oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
175g / 6oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Bread Soda
Pinch of Salt
25g / 1oz Margarine
1 tablespoon each of Sesame Seeds, Odlums Pinhead Oatmeal, Odlums Oatflakes, Pumpkin Seeds (optional)
100g packet of Chopped Walnuts
425ml / 3/4 pint Buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Lightly a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Place wholemeal into a large bowl. Sieve in the Cream Flour, bread soda and salt.
- Rub the margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Mix in the sesame seeds, pinhead, oatflakes, pumpkin seeds (if used) and walnut pieces.
- Add the buttermilk and mix to a soft dough. Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for about 50 minutes until golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
- Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
Delicious served with cheese or with carrot soup.