150g/5oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Caster Sugar
1 x 397g Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (not light!)
3 Egg Yolks
Finely grated Rind & Juice of 2 Lemons
3 Egg Whites
Pinch of Salt
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
- Pre heat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 23cms/9” pie dish.
- Make pastry: Coarsely rub the butter/margarine into the flour. Stir in the sugar. Add sufficient water to mix to a soft dough. Lightly knead on a floured surface.
- Roll out pastry and use to line the prepared tin. Prick well with a fork. Crumble up some tin foil and place on the pastry. This prevents it rising during baking. Bake ‘blind’ for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for further 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the egg whites and the salt into a clean dry mixing bowl and beat until mixture is dry looking, like cotton wool! Gradually beat in the caster sugar until mixture is thick and shiny.
- Next pour the condensed milk into a bowl, beat in the lemon rind and strained juice.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the pastry case. Drop spoonfuls of the meringue onto the lemon filling in blobs, then swirl with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until meringue is golden brown.
- Set aside for about 40 minutes to allow the filling to ‘set’ before serving warm.