150g/5oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
450g/1lb Cooking Apples (peeled,cored and sliced)
75g/3oz Granulated Sugar
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
75g/3oz Butter (room temperature)
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
1 Egg (beaten)
3 tablespoons Milk
2g/1oz Flaked Almonds (optional)
- Grease an 850ml/1 1/2 pint ovenproof dish.
- Mix the apples with the granulated sugar and lemon juice.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish.
- In a bowl, beat together the flour, butter, caster sugar, egg and milk to give a soft dropping consistency.
- Spread this over the apples and sprinkle with the flaked almonds, if used.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 40 minutes or until sponge is golden brown.
Serve hot or cold. Delicious served hot with custard, cream or ice cream.