- 200g/7oz Odlums Self Raising flour
- 175g/6oz Butter/Margarine (room temperature)
- 175g/6oz Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- Rind of 1 Lemon
- 75g/3oz Icing Sugar
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 125g/4oz Icing Sugar
- 2/3 Tablespoons Warm Water.
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas 3. Grease and base line an 20cms/8” Cake tin.
- Cream butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs and about 2 tablespoons of the flour.
- Finally, stir in the remaining flour and the lemon rind. Transfer to the prepared tin, smooth top. Bake in the centre of the oven for about 40 minutes until risen and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and leave in tin to cool.
- Meanwhile, put the lemon juice and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil then simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Make holes in top of cake and pour over the syrup. Allow cake to get completely cold. Then put on serving plate or board.
- Mix sufficient warm water with the icing sugar to make a thick icing, gently spread over the cake and finally assemble the ‘flower’ on top of cake.
- Happy Mothers Day!!!