450g/1lb Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
25g/1oz Odlums Wheat Bran
1 Tablespoon Sugar
125g/4oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda
1 Egg (beaten)
600ml/1pt buttermilk (approx)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°/Gas 6. Lightly grease a casserole dish with a lid.
- Put the wholemeal, bran and sugar into a large bowl, sieve in the flour and bread soda.
- Rub in the butter, lifting, as you do to introduce air to the mixture.
- Mix the egg and buttermilk together and add sufficient to the dry ingredients to mix to a soft ‘dough’
- Turn onto a floured surface and gently roll in the flour.
- Transfer to the casserole dish. Place the lid on and place into the centre of the oven.
- Bake for about an hour until risen and golden brown. The bread will be springy to the touch!
Note: Times may vary according to the size of the casserole!