75g / 3oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
2 Eggs (separated)
Pinch of Salt
75g / 3oz Margarine
125g / 4oz Caster Sugar
Rind & Juice of 1 Orange
Rind & Juice of 2 Lemons
300ml / 1/2 pint Milk
Icing Sugar for dredging
- Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3. Lightly grease a 1.2 litre/2 pint deep ovenproof dish.
- Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt into a clean, dry bowl and beat until stiff and hold soft peaks. Leave aside while making up remaining mixture.
- Put the margarine and sugar into another large mixing bowl and beat well. Add the orange and lemon rinds and juices, the flour and the egg yolks and mix well.
- Next beat the milk into the mixture. Finally “fold” the stiffly beaten egg whites into this with a large spoon and pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake for about an hour or until spongy to the touch.
- Cool slightly and dredge icing sugar over the top.