150g/5oz Odlums Self Raising flour
4 Eggs (separated)
Pinch of Salt
125g/4oz Caster Sugar
Fresh Strawberries (hulled & thinly sliced)
Small Carton fresh Cream
1 Tablespoon Icing Sugar
Few drops Vanilla Essence
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Line three large baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Put the egg whites into a large bowl, add the pinch of salt and beat until ‘stiff’. Add the sugar and continue beating until mixture thickens, next add the egg yolks and beat until mixture has tripled in volume and when the whisk is removed it should leave a trail over the surface.
- Sieve in the flour and gently fold through with a large metal spoon.
- Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto the baking sheets, leaving a 3cms gap between each. You will get about 18 ‘drops’ depending on size of spoon.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until puffed up, lightly crisp and golden brown.
- Leave to cool on the sheets, then, peel away from the parchment.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla essence. Spread a sponge drop with some strawberry jam and top with some strawberry slices. Spread another drop with cream, sandwich together, dust with icing sugar and serve straight away, before sponge drops get too soft!!