Ingredients:350g / 12oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
450g / 1lb Cooking Apples
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
225g / 8oz Butter - softened
225g / 8oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
For decorationShamrock Demerara Sugar
- Heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and line a rectangular baking tin (approx 27cm x 20cm) with parchment paper. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. Then squeeze the lemon juice over them. Set to one side.
- Place the flour, butter, caster sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well until smooth. Spread a third of the mixture into the prepared tin. Arrange half the apples over the top, then another third of the mixture, then remaining apples and final third of mixture. Sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until golden and springy to the touch.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins, then turn out of tin and remove paper. Cut into bars or squares.
- Serve hot with ice cream or custard. Very tasty served cold with a cuppa!