2 Tablespoons Odlums Cream Plain Flour
3 Tablespoons Oil
750g/1 ½ lb Rib or Round Steak - well trimmed and cut into cubes
2 Onions, thinly sliced
3 Carrots thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
500ml Can of Guinness
Pinch Mixed Dried Herbs or Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
225g /8 oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
4 tablespoons Water (approx)
- Set oven to 160° C/325° F/Gas 3
- Remove the meat, as it browns, to a casserole.
- Add the onion and carrot to the saucepan and cook for a few minutes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Brown the beef, a few pieces at a time.
- Sprinkle in the sugar, herbs, salt, pepper and flour. Stir it around to soak up the juices; then gradually add in the Guinness, stirring all the time.
- Bring to the boil and pour it over the meat in the casserole.
- Put the lid on and cook in the oven for 1 ½ hours, or until the meat is tender. Approximately 30 minutes before the end of cooking time, roll out the pastry and place on top of the casserole.
- Rub the margarine/butter into the flour to form a crumble. .
- Add sufficient water to make a soft dough. Lightly knead, then cover in cling film and leave to rest in fridge until ready to put on the casserole.