225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
50g/2oz Margarine (melted)
125g/4oz Shamrock Demerara Sugar
250g Packet Shamrock Dates (chopped)
Juice of 1 Orange made up to 150ml/¼pt with boiling water
Pinch of Salt
1 Teaspoon Shamrock Bread Soda (sieved)
100g Packet Shamrock Chopped Walnuts
1 Egg (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and line a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Place the margarine, sugar and dates into a bowl. Pour over the orange juice and allow to cool.
- Gently stir in the flour, salt, soda, walnuts and beaten egg..
- When mixture is smooth and well mixed transfer to the tin and bake in the centre of the oven for about an hour until risen and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin.