225g/8oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
150g/5oz Margarine (room temperature)
2 Tablespoons Cold Water (approx)
1 Medium Onion (peeled & finely chopped)
2 Tablespoons Tomato Ketchup (optional)
1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
Pinch of Mixed Herbs
2 Hard Boiled Eggs (sliced)
2 Tomatoes (sliced)
Beaten Egg or Milk
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas5. Lightly dust a flat baking sheet with flour.
- Make pastry by putting the margarine, water and half the flour into a bowl. Cream with a fork until well mixed. Stir in the remaining flour and mix until dough is formed. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest while making the filling.
- Make the filling by mixing together the first 5 ingredients together until well blended, divide in half.
- Roll out the pastry into a 30cms/12″ square. Place on the prepared tin. Place one half of the filling down the centre of the pastry leaving about 10cms/4″ either side. Cover with the sliced eggs.
- Place remaining filling on top and cover with sliced tomatoes.
- Cut diagonal 2 1/2 cms/4″each side of the filling. Take each strip separately and plait across the filling alternating each side.
- Tuck in the ends to neaten! Brush with beaten egg or milk and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown.
Makes an ideal teatime meal and is also perfect served cold for a summer picnic.