450g/1lb Odlums Self Raising Flour
1 Level Teaspoon Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
2 Dessertspoons Sugar
50g/2oz Margarine or Butter
1 Egg (beaten)
300ml/½pt Milk (approx)
125g/4oz Shamrock Sultanas or Raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly dust a flat baking tray with flour.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Rub the margarine or butter into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sultanas or raisins (if desired) and mix through.
- Finally, add the egg and sufficient milk to make a soft dough, not too wet or sticky! Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead, just enough to bring the dough together.
- Transfer to the prepared baking tray and shape into a round about 4cms/1½” deep. Cut a cross on top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown and has a hollow sound when tapped underneath has a hollow sound!
- Serve, freshly baked, with a spreading of butter.